Finding a Water Leak in Your Home
Water pipes are a very common problem in most homes. You might see yourself getting water pipe leaks occasionally but this can be inexpensive. Many leaks tend to be on horizontal pipes as the pipes run underneath and through the foundation and along the skirting board. Water supply lines such as pipes in the winter and supply lines for a sprinkler system can either be in your basement or accessible via plumbing. Here are a few steps to follow when you get a plumbing problem or repair:
- Turn off the water – The first step to take is to turn off the water. Water will usually come out of your water Log. If it doesn’t there may be a cut in the pipe. A plumbing professional will be able to fix this. You can replace the missing washer or lubricate the pipe. If it runs all the way to the inside of your home then either the diaphragm, pipe or PEX slotted will need to be replaced.
- Have a bucket handy – You will need a bucket and a rag to clean up excess water so it doesn’t leak out the truth. If you are sure there is a source of water on the floor you can use a Edition strainer. These come in handy when trying to find the source of the leak since at this point it is in the floor. As well, if you are certain there is an interior pipe leak then you must locate the Them on the outside, this can not be put on the water pipe itself because of the notorious pressure on these pipes. If you manage to locate the leak it is good idea to shut off water to the entire house. Call the water authority to shut off the water to the entire house. If your water mains seem to be connected to the main line then you can shut off the mains supply directly on the main.
- Locate the water shutoff valve – The third step to follow is to locate the shut off valve. Normally you will be able to find a shut off underneath the valve, it’s lower down in there. If there is not an internal shut off then you will need to drain the water in the house. If the water is shut off by the mains supply, then you must flip the circuit breaker switch to the off position to shut off water to the entire house. Also be sure to look around for any recycled water signage as you’ll need to take extra precaution with reclaimed water.
- Have a bucket of clean water – Last just need to focus you may have a water pipe leak. The last thing you need is to have a contained amount of water on your carpet. When you get a water pipe leak, you want to be able to whip out a bucket of water with enough to clean the mess. You will get about 10 to 15 gallons of water out of a bucket. Of course, it is best to have a bucket of water instead of running out of the home with an empty water tank. After you have a bucket of water in there you can fill it with hose water.
- Call a plumber – If the basement still feels wet or if water is flowing in or out of the basement then you may have a more serious leak. The two most likely things are that there is a crack in the damage so water is staying in the basement or you might have a leak from the water pipe itself. You really don’t want to mess with fixing the cause of the leak as it may worsen the problem and possibly damage other parts of the piping as well. You will want to call a plumber to come troubleshoot the issue as they will be able to determine what the cause is.
Water pipe leaks will needing a trained eye, a rough going around for assistance, and a bucket of water when you call the plumber. Flooding water can easily lead to mold build up and the use of a maintenance man may not be an option. It is best to call a plumber 300 degrees to have them arrive on site immediately so they may be able to help you lessen your water pipe leaks. They can also make sure the problem does not come back and will not cause any damage to the floors throughout the home.